I've completely changed the default layout to be entirely people centric rather than app or service centric. It makes people with iPhones look like geeks. This came from Microsoft! Inconceivable!
Things I like:
- Metro UI. It's taking over the whole Microsoft design world. It's superb. It looks good and easy to use. Someone really needs to apply it to computer games (I'm not talking about GUI in games, but the games themselves. Imagine a FPS in a Metro style!)
- Unobstrusive. I don't like how iOS interrupts my activity with irrelevant messages.
- Linking to all my accounts was simple. Way easier than setting up my Google mail account on the iPad, for example.
- Very responsive. It loads apps very quickly. It doesn't have the clunk of iOS (and it's not even multi-core yet).
- It's a social OS. My phone revolves around people rather than mediums (calls, SMS, email), services (Facebook, LinkedIn) or apps (pictures, music, etc.)
- The base apps are really good. E.g., Nokia Drive, Office, Xbox games.
- The back button is really useful.
- Animation on the people tiles. These tiles should not change unless I have a new message. I know who the person is by their picture, I don't need the OS to switch between their picture and their name. Bad user experience Microsoft! (But it's the only poor decision I've seen thus far.)
- The link between a person and their e-mails doesn't work correctly. On a person's profile it will say I've received emails from them. When I click to see the list it lists all emails, not the emails coming solely from them. Surely this isn't an uncommon use case! Weird.
- I'm not convinced that the screen-size is large enough to use the keyboard effectively. I feel like I'm getting more typing errors than I'd expect. This could be an OS issue, screen issue, general issue with smart-phones or a me issue.
- Needs Skype integration. (Microsoft, you might not have noticed that you own Skype!)
- Needs Google+ integration. I know few use it, but most of my geeky friends do.
- The search button uses Bing. (Useless)