Saturday, July 7, 2012

More interview questions

We had a coding competition at work last week. We had an hour or so to code-up a solution to:
I want to simulate a vote by providing a question, valid responses, and an integer representing the voting population size.
When the vote occurs, there should be 1 random vote for each member of the voting population.
 The entries were judged on the following criteria.
  • Testability
  • Maintainability
  • Accuracy of solution
  • Structure of solution files
I've uploaded my contribution to GitHub. I didn't win. I made a few weird assumptions (that I've corrected in the code online) and for some reason went off on a tangent playing around with JSON serialisation. However, the wining solution wasn't particularly different to mine.

The purpose behind the competition was to use this task (or something similar) when interviewing candidates. I guess the people interviewing wanted a base-line to work off, that's why they had the staff do the task.

Anyways, it was quite fun. I've never done anything like that in a workplace before.

No comments:

Post a Comment